Friday, February 2, 2007

copy of blog posted 11:16pm 1/28: stranger

it feels a little strange being here. i went on my first mini-excursion by myself yesterday. i walked around the block (left my toothbrush, toothpaste and deodorant in a suitcase i ended up not bringing, brilliant). the thing that feels strange is that everyone stares at me. its a little bit creepy when everyone, whether they are walking or driving by, turns their head to stare at you because you dont belong. i wonder if i will get used to it. its very hard to ignore and not stare back.
today i went shopping with steven (he is from my office, hes a funder there) so we drove through delhi a bit. i had my first experience with beggars then. i knew they would be coming up to the car, but what i didnt know was that they would be pounding on the windows to try and make you look.
i bought some saphire jewelry and a saree for myself. it is really pretty. it was very hard to decide because everything is so beautiful. i had to say no and practically run when he started showing me carpets and furniture (ma'am, we take care of the shipping for you, you do not worry) because i wanted it all!!
i start work tonight. i am excited to see what is going on in the office here.
also, my expense report will be tons of fun to do when i get home as no one uses cash registers so there are no receipts.

No comments: