Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Most of you know already

that I finally had the baby. Yes, Tara, I "pushed that kid out" finally! I thought the day would never come, then when it did, I wished it hadn't. I had been having contractions since Wednesday morning, but they were very small. Friday they got stronger, but they were still ok and I thought "ok, I'm going to be able to do this" since everything was building gradually. I was uncomfortable, sometimes in some pain, but I would count to 60 and it would be over. Friday night they got a little stronger where I needed Bruno to rub my back when they came, but it was still ok, I was able to keep doing whatever I wanted in between them and they were 8-20 minutes apart. Then, at 8:50 PM on 10/19, my water broke. We arrived at the hospital at about 10:30 and I was admitted at about midnight.
Since my water had broken, but my contractions were still too irregular to be considered "active labor" they started giving my pitocin. Not only did this make the contractions much stronger, but they were also much sharper and right on top of each other. By about 4:30, I couldn't cope with them anymore, I was becoming exhausted so I asked them to give me something for the pain. Because I was only dilated to 2.5 cm, they wouldn't give me an epidural, so they gave me phenti-something, a narcotic. I thought, "this will be ok, I know that it will still hurt, but I will be stoned and won't care, right?" WRONG!!!! All it did was make me even more tired, but the contractions were so strong, I couldn't sleep, so I was very worn out.
I finally got the epidural at 6AM (administered by the worst anesthesiologist ever, he stabbed me at least 6 times while trying to find the right spot, but every time he did, he would wiggle the needle around to try and get it in the right spot, hitting every nerve possible in my spinal column; it felt like someone was dragging a knife up and down my hip bone) and at 8:20 AM informed the nurse that I needed to push.
She agreed with my since she could feel the head only about 2 inches in when she checked me, and after only 30 mins of pushing (ha, beat that Lisa!), out came my little baby girl.
She was pretty icky and purple, but I decided to keep her anyway. She was 7lbs 15.2 oz and over 19 in long.
We named her Natalia (no middle name) Montes Borges.
We are very happy to have her home, but also very tired.

No comments: